Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Intelligent Apes?

Sentient Apes as citizens of the Roman Empire? I ask because I forgot about these guys:






I thought they were some pretty cool miniatures and I like to support the company that makes them, Black Orc Games. That's just a random selection of miniatures from their Roman Ape line which was designed for their own in house miniature wargame. I started buying their stuff for my own Oriental Adventures games but they have a pretty wide selection of cool stuff. The Roman Apes actually intrigued me some time ago and I never really got around to planting them into a game anywhere, but since we're rebuilding the Garnia campaign world now AND we have decided to keep the Roman Empire I tacked on in the 1990s, I suppose we could retcon them into there without too much difficulty.

Opinions? Too weird fantasy? Awesome? Something else?

2 comments:

  1. you know, at first I was afraid, I was petrified. Kept thinking I could never live...sorry...at first I was against this, it just seemed silly, but then I got to thinking about it and I decided, "Why the fuck not?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figure if they are a niche species that only lives in the Roman empire area, that could be cool. They'd be kind of like the apes from Planet of the Apes, only without the anti-Human bias, fully integrated into Roman society. Maybe they were stone age tool users when the Romans got there, barely holding their own against the hordes of humanoids around them. I am going to assume that they assimilated completely into Roman society, probably as allies at first. The Romans would have taught them Latin, trained and armed them when they realized they weren't just dumb animals. Didn't you say you were going to place some Classical Greeks in this alt-Mediterranean too?

    ReplyDelete